Archive for how to prepare for divorce mediation
Before getting a divorce, make sure you're ready to face the consequences. A divorce will greatly change you and your children's lives, and you should be prepared to deal with that. Follow these tips toe help you handle this situation better:
- Get a Tulsa divorce attorney. You will need someone to handle the case and give you great legal advice on how to proceed. Your lawyer should be someone you can trust and easily communicate with; someone who looks out for you and your children's best interests.
- Be honest and helpful to your lawyer. Provide documents regarding your joint accounts, properties, debts, and the like. Be specific about the events, dates, and other circumstances that led to your divorce.
- Close all joint accounts you share with your spouse in Tulsa, and open your own bank account as soon as possible. Also, when the properties are divided, immediately transfer the assets you've got under your name.
- If you share your health insurance with your spouse, you should immediately secure your own individual health plan. It's also the right time to take care of your pension and life insurance plans.
- When the divorce is final, be sure to inform everyone that you're no longer tied with your ex. Notify your insurance, pension, life, health, and even your employer.
- Always consider your children in every decision you make. Think of what's best for them. Sooner or later, you and your spouse will have to fight over custody and it's easy to get absorbed in the situation that you'd forget the children. Although you want your kids to stay with you, their best interests should be prioritized no matter what.
- Modify the provisions in your will. If you live in Tulsa, you may want the primary beneficiaries to be your children and not your ex-spouse. Ask your lawyer to help you change the stipulations in the will to make them more favorable to your kids.